Sunday, March 22, 2009

A bad week.

I've been mum for the past few days, so here's a run-down of real life:

Our older cat, Boots, escaped Wednesday night. It's closing in on 4 days and we haven't found him yet. We're both kind of worried, but I think we've done all we can do to ensure his safe return. This includes a geeky "live trap" by keeping some of his favorite food by the front door, along with a motion detector to alert us when something or someone is at the door. We've also checked with various shelters, postered the neighborhood, and tried online registries.

I couldn't sleep at all Wednesday night. I had to take Thursday off because I was sick and tired.

Friday, I caught some heat at work for a technical glitch that was partially caused by me. It's not likely a career-ender, but it's also my first real mistake in almost 3 years of working for this company. I figure out my fate on Monday, after I hand in a post-mortem report to management.

Nothing ruins a weekend quite like waiting to be punished on Monday... unless that something is being worried sick about your cat and your job at the exact same time.

4 comments:

Joshua Kriegshauser said...

Yikes, sorry to hear that bud, on all accounts.

I've been there on the 'technical glitch' front though. I once caused all of the UO servers to crash intermittently (like maybe 50% uptime) after a publish, and I also caused the need for a worldwide database rollback in EQ2 (I think mine was the second in the 4-year history of the game). We've all been there, so good luck :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you've had a bad week and weekend. Monday probably won't be as bad as you think, and let's face it, unless you get fired, which I doubt, it will get better. And, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you find your cat. I thought I had lost one of my dogs a couple of nights ago, and it is a horrible, scary feeling.

Anonymous said...

We sure do need a refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

Sirrus Rider said...

Remember: The beatings shall continue until morale improves. Such is life in corporate America. Your mistake might not be a firing offense, but some manager who understands what happened about as much as the janitor (who is fresh off the boat)in the basement will have to write you up and give you a stern talking to. That's something I find the most ironic. Most IT mangers are political flunkies and don't understand that their underlings are self motivated and to keep hands off in these sorts of situations.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.