Wednesday, May 14, 2008

KC Bike Week 2008 Day 3: Press Conference

Mayor Funkhouser made a press conference today stating his intentions to make KC a League Of American Bicyclists Platinum-level community by the year 2020. Along side him were various staff members of his, plus the mayor of Shawnee, KS.

We showed up en masse to show our support. I got to hang out with Jason Preu (who got interviewed by a KC Star reporter), and got some JimmyJohn's on the way back to the office. Other friends of mine were also present, including Eric Rogers and Mr. Dahon.

Gallery below.

3 comments:

amidnightrider said...

Man, you city slickers have it good bike wise.

MRMacrum said...

I would never have envisioned KC as a biking town. Your blog has definitely changed my opinion. Kudos to the mayor for even grabbing headlines with bicycles as the focus. Excellent.

I was a member of LAW (League of American Wheelmen) back in the 70s before they changed the name to LAB (League of American Bicyclists). Their headquarters used to be in Owings Mills, Maryland just down the road from my college. The guy I hooked up with when I signed on showed up riding a replica Penny Farthing. I thought that was so cool, especially in 1971. He let me try it. I finally wobbled it for a few yards and then fell.

jferg said...

Dammit, I totally was going to come over there today, since I just work across the street, but our 3-week-old was up half the night and I was too totally wiped to ride in today, much less actually remember to be someplace at 10:00 that wasn't my desk chair. *sighs*

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.