Tuesday, January 22, 2008

10 degrees, and a great morning

First and foremost, I simply nailed my clothing choices this morning. I took my advice from the 8 degree morning earlier this month:

"Maybe add a light layer to legs, go lighter on the upper body"
The end result:
  • A pair of balaclavas (one showing only the eyes, one to add a layer to the ears and neck, stretched to go around my face) and ski goggles for my head. I don't have a scarf or a neck gaiter but this would have been better than a second balaclava.
  • A wicking thermal base layer shirt under a ski coat for my torso
  • Thick snow ski gloves for my hands
  • Wicking thermal base layer, thin flannel pants and cargo pants for my legs
  • Doubled-up socks inside loose, loose tennis shoes for my feet
I can genuinely say I was really comfortable this morning. No sweating except for the top of my head, and I was pedalling along nicely at a reasonable pace. This would have been way too much clothing for a hammerfest, but as far as my usual commuting pace goes in the morning, it was perfect.

I threw some coffee grounds and almost-boiling water in my bike-bottle French Press a bit before taking off, as well. It was nice to be able to warm my soul while waiting for the bus. No matter how cold it is outside, it seems that my arrival is the cue for all the motorists to evacuate the confines of their steel cages and stand "in line" for the bus. I could show up 20 minutes before the bus and they'd probably get out and stand around. I don't know if it's because they have some kind of sympathy on me, or if they just figure the bus must be close if I'm there waiting for it. Regardless, most of them are shivering while I'm enjoying life inside my warm clothes, sipping on warm, dark coffee.

So begins a short work week. It looks like we stand a good chance of staying below freezing until the weekend approaches. Personally, I think this is a Good Thing(tm).

Random Tunage:
D:Fuse & Hiratzka - In Suspense
Fatboy Slim - Praise You

1 comment:

Chuong Doan said...

Where did you get that french press bike bottle? There should be an entire entry dedicated to on bike caffeination.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.