Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

Today, I'm giving thanks for the loads of calories that I took in which will likely throw me cleanly back into the clydesdale club if I don't work my ass off on the bike in the next week or so. Talk about motivation!

Last year, I rode about 18 miles from my old apartment to my parents place for thanksgiving. That's Olathe to Stilwell, for those who know the Southern Johnson County part of the area here. It was the Sorrento's Maiden voyage, so to speak. It wasn't it's first ride, but it was a huge turning point for me. First off, it was the longest ride I'd ever been on since high school. Also, it was the first time in my adult life that I'd ridden somewhere other than to the bus stop, or around the corner to the grocery store. It was when my eyes were opened to the world of utility cycling regardless of distance, as I proved to myself that I could, in fact, ride more than 3 miles in a sitting.

With that, I'm thankful for the opportunities that the past year have opened up for me related to cycling and otherwise. I'm thankful that I have a wonderful family that usually supports my cycling addiction, including my wonderful wife who also took up a little bit of recreational cycling herself. I'm thankful for switching from contractor to employee back in January (and somehow getting a raise, to boot). I'm pretty much thankful for everything, and recognize where it all came from.

1 comment:

amidnightrider said...

Rice and peas with walnuts for dinner tonight. Worked all day as I have every Thanksgiving as far back as I can remember. It's quiet and I make lots of $$. (for a new bike perhaps). 8>)

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.