Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Smile and wave. And By the way...

I broke another spoke. Methinks this wheel got a bit over-tightened last night. It's all fixed now and a beer offering to the bike shop crew this evening will probably score me a re-lace if I decide I need one. Bike gremlins are starting to piss me off a little.

Anyhow, I took the A bus to 87th street, which gave me about a 3 mile ride home tonight. I didn't want to go too far on the broken spoke. After I got home with my re-re-spoked, re-re-re-tensioned replacement wheel, I took it for a quick shakedown run, then grabbed our rental videos, the outgoing mail, and the grocery list for an honest-to-goodness durability test.

Everything seems to be working fine again.

On my way home, a car drove by me with two parents and two teenagers. They were crowding me but I was holding the center of the right lane on 87th street. Eventually they figured out they needed to change lanes. The teenagers (male and female) were pointing and laughing at me in my lime reflective vest and big panniers loaded with groceries.

As the car changed lanes to get in front of me, I mustered up the absolute goofiest grin I had and waved emphatically with my whole arm as the teenagers started to completely lose all composure. I could almost hear them laughing through the glass. It was great. Tomorrow, I'm sure they're going to tell all their friends about the mentally handicapped dude riding his bike on 87th street.

Random Tunage:
Marc Houle - Bay of figs
Nine Inch Nails - Right where it belongs

No comments:

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.