Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Took the new route home

I used Mark Thomas' suggestion for a way to get home while avoiding some of the more capricious roadways in Merriam and Lenexa. Aside from being hot and humid -- which I don't mind so much going home -- it was a nice ride. The new route took me onto Turkey Creek trail for a few miles south of Merriam Lane, and then through a bunch of suburban industrial areas and business parks, which had very little in the way of auto traffic. This allowed me to slow it down a bit.

Of course, the whole northern part of my commute was the same old crap. I got out a little bit later than usual today, so the impetuous rush-hour motorists on Southwest Boulevard were as antsy as they come.

I got confused a few times and had to turn around, so it added about half a mile to my commute from what it would have been had I followed the correct route the first time. I'll probably try it again tomorrow. It adds some pretty good climbs to my route home, but I think the trade-off of being able to ride in the shade on the trail, and ride without traffic for the rest of the alternate route is a worthwhile compromise.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I'll bet with a commute as long as yours, you have a lot of options for the route.

The only way I can modify my route is to go a different direction than home.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.