Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The ride... OF DOOM!

For the past few days, I've been noticing a little noise from my rear wheel. It's kind of a squeaking noise. I tried lubing the axle this morning to no avail whatsoever.

Over lunch, I had to pick up my bus pass, go to the bank, and get some food. The noise persisted, and occasionally I heard a faint tick noise. I figured that I'd take the bike apart when I got home and start chasing it down.

On my way home, the tick turned into a Clink per wheel rotation and I knew exactly what was happening. I broke a spoke. In the name of not tearing the crap out of my panniers or drivetrain, I stopped to tie the broken spoke off and ghetto-true my wheel to keep it from rubbing on the brake. As I was doing this, Karen pulled up and offered help. I ended up just unscrewing the spoke and leaving the spoke nipple in the rim.

That was about the only thing worth mentioning from my ride home. I took the wheel to my LBS and I'm prepping the Outlook for commuter duty tomorrow. Backup bikes are freaking awesome.

Random Tunage:
Blank & Jones - Desire (Accuface Remix)
Butthole Surfers - Pepper

No comments:

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.