Thursday, May 24, 2007

It's really going to rain! Promise!

It's been trying to rain for days, and I keep saying it's going to rain. It looks like it's going to do it for real*!

It was not only warm and muggy this morning, but I was faced with 20MPH winds that gusted to twice that easily. Once I got downtown it was even worse. Tall buildings create this venturi effect on the street level, where wind velocity increases rapidly once confined to narrow roadway corridors. I almost was knocked off my bike by a ferocious side wind.

On a slight tangent related to Bernoulli's Principle and the Venturi Effect, an image from one of my websites (a photo taken by a friend of mine hosted on my website as part of an instructional article) was published in two textbooks: one on Thermal Fluid Sciences and another on Thermodynamics last year. My friend and I each got complimentary copies of both books, and they're actually quite interesting to read. I'm not sure if I'm ready to become a physicist, though. I think I'll stick to topics I know, while getting published (on several different occasions) in magazines like 2600.

* Honestly, I'm just re-iterating it, hoping that if I talk about it enough, it just won't rain.

No comments:

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.