Monday, December 29, 2008

How supper cost me my morning commute

- or -
A Watched Crock-Pot Never Boils

Bean soup isn't exactly a spur-of-the-moment supper. No, it requires a little bit of planning. It starts with soaking the beans in water. For. eight. hours. No problem. I started soaking them before I left for church yesterday morning. In fact, due to some more medical emergency adventures last night, they soaked for ten hours. That doesn't really hurt anything. Around 7:00, I was finally able to start preparing things. Normally, we eat kind of late. 9:30 or 10:00 isn't unheard-of. I knew this would be a later night than that, though.

Sorry for the camera-phone photo:


At any rate, come 10:45 or so, the crock pot still hasn't even started to boil. The beans are still crunchy, and I'm not amused. Enough of the slow-cooker BS. I dumped it into a huge stock pot and set it on the stove. It was boiling in 2 minutes flat. It still took close to 45 minutes to cook all the way, though. And that's why I didn't get to bed until after midnight.

By proxy, that's also why I rode to the bus. I tried. I tried to take The Goat and make it go north. In fact, I even got about a mile north of where I live. I just didn't have it in me. I turned it around and took it to the bus stop.

I seriously need to go to bed at 9:30 or 10:00 tonight.

On an interesting side note, I found a nice Master combination lock in the gutter while I was riding home from the pizza shop yesterday. Too bad I didn't know the combination for it. It's a nice lock. Not awesome, but decent.


While I was waiting and waiting in vain for the crock pot to boil, I went about cracking the combination. You can read about that here.

3 comments:

Apertome said...

Hmm, I don't think Crock Pots are supposed to boil. Aren't they supposed to remain below the boiling point of water?

Regardless, that's a long time to make a meal! Sarah makes roast in our crock pot sometimes and it's always fantastic -- although it drives me crazy, smelling it all day, if I'm working from home.

Noah said...

On high, our crock pot can usually bring soups and chilis to a gentle boil. Not yesterday, though!

Miguel said...

For quick cooking of beans nothing beats a pressure cooker. We use it when time is pressing. If not, we cook beans over a medium flame in an iron pot. I prefer the slow cooked myself but pressure cooker beans are fine and tasty, too.

I never use a crock pot, but why not leave the beans cooking all day from when you leave the house till you come back?

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.