Saturday, May 03, 2008

Got wind?

The winds didn't let up one bit today. I didn't get much sleep last night (3 hours), but I was determined to make it to the Quivira Park group ride this morning. This is its first run in 2008, so I figured I would try to make it. I need miles right now.

I arrived at 7:00 sharp, with temperatures in the low 40s. One lone cyclist - Ed, the ride leader - was lapping the parking lot. We set off north into a 20-gusting-30 MPH head/crosswind out of the NW. No one else bothered showing up.

I feel kind of bad for arriving in the condition I did. I could tell I was holding Ed back quite a bit, particularly up the hills, and even moreso up hills when headwind was involved. I'd watch my speed drop down into single digit territory while Ed pushed onward. Eventually, he'd get far ahead of me and slow way down. Part of my slowness is the fact that I didn't get enough sleep. And I can go around blaming the wind all I want. At the end of the day, though, I'm just out of shape. My average speed for the entire ride was less than 13 MPH. The ride is marketed as a moderate to fast ride, which I'm sure means "16-20 MPH".

I cut off about 2 miles from the end and let Ed go onward at his own pace. Daily Dose had breakfast with my name on it, and I hadn't eaten yet. It was nice to meet Ed. I'm surprised I haven't run into him before. Wish I could have talked more, but I was too busy gasping for air.

So, what I took away from today:

  1. Get more than 3 hours of sleep before a 20+ mile ride.
  2. Eat breakfast before a 20+ mile ride.
  3. Ride more
  4. Try to lose some weight
  5. Quit being such a wimp
So, after a 24 mile ride, a cinnamon roll, some coffee, a shower, and a nap, I got to go to the pharmacy and pay rent (also on bike) giving me a little more than 27 miles total today. No pics. Awww.

Random Tunage:
Binary Finary - 1999 (Kay Cee Remix)
Taffy - I Love My Radio

3 comments:

Sirrus Rider said...

I feel your pain; however, I have you beat today. Clyde that I am, I manged to snap the axle on my trike today.. :-S

Anonymous said...

@KC: I feel for you man. You have good take aways that should help next time.

@sirrus rider: That stinks!

MRMacrum said...

Your lessons line up as classic reminders to all of us who fall off the fitness wagon for whatever reason.

It's the story of my Spring here

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.