Sunday, August 02, 2009

Back from DefCon

... and I can feel it.

It's always nice to get a recharge, and DefCon does a lot to bolster my passion and interest in the like of work I've chosen. If I had to sum it up with a few bullet points:

  • Lots of learning
  • Advancing my own ideas and helping others do the same
  • Getting almost no sleep
  • Making new industry contacts and friends
  • Catching up with old friends
  • Copious partying
"Partying" to me usually involves loud music and dark rooms and may involve alcohol however it's certainly not a requirement. Most of the parties I went to were sponsored events designed to foster the networking process while allowing DefCon-goers to ditch the conference-like environment for one that incites social interaction and cutting-loose. I shook a lot of hands, gave out scores of contact cards, got quite a few in return, and had some really great discussions.

Through the presentations I attended and the discussions I had on the side, I learned about some cutting-edge security stuff and observed some fascinating and thought-provoking projects that are certain to change the way I approach certain problems. I needed this.

I may do something a little bit different with my photos of this event. There were far too many to even consider uploading, and a lot of them were rubbish anyway. I need a few days to sort through them all.

I can say that I walked about 12 miles this last weekend, but it didn't stop me from doing some stuff that the eco-zealots won't approve of. Such as renting a stretch-limo made from a tandem-axle F650 chassis and cramming 25 hackers inside it to go to the "Toxic BBQ" event across town. Hey, it was $8 per head and we showed up in style.


Of course, on the way back, I caught a 1956 bus that we somehow crammed more than 60 people onto. Poor bus could barely get moving.


Here are a few other favorites from the weekend, but look for something more later on.




Wire-wrapped patch board from ye-olde days


My friend Ulysses got Mohawk'd last night for $5. One of the parties was giving mohawks for a fund raiser. No, I didn't get one.


A ghetto-panorama (stand far away and crop the hell out of the picture) of the crowd at Toxic BBQ.


Some shots of Las Vegas at dusk from the iDefense event.




A cheap green prismatic line laser (like you'd see in a laser level) plus a fog machine produced a surreal green swirling plane just one inch above the floor at the event last night.

1 comment:

amidnightrider said...

Work is fun. Who knew?

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.