Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I'm still here. Kinda.

I suppose after a few e-mails asking if I've somehow fallen off the face of the earth, I should probably update.

Life's been crazy and exciting the past week or so. A few things from the highlight reel:

  • My wife finally found her biological mother! This is huge for a number of reasons:
  1. The woman that "raised" my wife (if you can call it that) has never gotten along with my wife too well. Let's just say "it's kinda complicated."
  2. My wife now has some knowledge of her genetic medical history.
  3. After so much searching, this gives my wife some happiness and she's found a REAL MOTHER that cares for her and loves her. No "awkward moment of silence" or "mixed feelings" on either side.
  • I am helping some friends build a huge 10'x12' Labyrinth that will be controlled by a Nintendo Wii balance board. You can read more about it here. My part will be the computer that ties the different elements of this project together. While I'm not getting my hands dirty (or cut up) in the construction process, I will hopefully come up with a reliable and easy-to-use "appliance" style computer that can be powered on and off at will by the Science City staff without any elaborate startup or shutdown procedure.
  • Cowtown Computer Congress has its grand opening ceremonies next week. As well as being on the build-out team that is preparing the local Technology Co-Op's "hackerspace" for use, I am also giving at least two presentations. Each of those presentations requires study, collaboration, and rehearsal. If you're an entrepeneur, geek, artist, crafter, builder, tinkerer or hacker in the Kansas City area, you should check out CCCKC. "Computer" is in the name, but it's more a collective of technical minds from physical, digital and mechanical standpoints.
  • I will probably have The Twelve fixed up soon! That means more full commutes, more photos, and hopefully more recreational riding. The Mountain Goat isn't meant for this, but it's all I've got right now.
Other than that, it's just bike/bus commuting, and nothing interesting happens when you ride the same 6 miles every single day.

Random Tunage:
Hybrid - Sinequanon
Way Out West - Melt

2 comments:

WildcatAl said...

Glad to hear your wife found her biological mother. I found mine about 4 years ago, and it has been a good experience.

Sirrus Rider said...

I concur that it's hard to write when your traveling the same route every day. At least you have your coffee crew that you meet up with time to time. Some of us are completely by our lonesome going out and coming back in.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.