Friday, December 26, 2008

Springtime in December

Photo: The TWA Rocket on top of Barkley, just as the sun is illuminating clouds high in the atmosphere.

I woke up this morning to see that temperatures were upwards of 50°F with a stiff tailwind. My only guess is that south winds are bringing moist, warm Gulf air into the great plains. It's hard to believe that Monday, I was riding the whole trip to work at 0°F and this morning it would be close to 60 by the time I got downtown.

It had either rained overnight, or the dew point was well above the actual temperature for a good while. The roads were dripping with briny, abrasive sludge -- a mixture of road salt, sand, dirt and water. When I parked my bike this morning, I could see the coagulated slurry accumulated by my brake pads as it oozed down and onto the seat stays. The Twelve will need a good once-over when I get home.


I can't believe I'm riding in shorts at the end of December. This is still blowing my mind. I do think that I caught a little sinus/throat bug over the holiday, though. I'm nursing it with hot mint tea. Hopefully the 96 remaining miles I have to ride to make my goal doesn't irritate whatever is lurking in my system.


If you're in or around Kansas City today, do yourself a favor: get out and enjoy this weather while it lasts.

Random Tunage:
Barenaked Ladies - One Week
Daft Punk - Technologic

3 comments:

kG said...

The weather here still boggles my mind -- I had the day off and took advantage of the nice weather with a leisurely spin around suburbia. 67 degrees right before sundown, and we might even hear thunder tonight... Last weekend of December??? If you'da blindfolded me an drove me around town in a van for 10 hours, I'd swear I was somewhere south of here.

Apertome said...

That is some crazy heat wave -- and it's headed our way. I doubt it'll get that warm here, but they're saying it should be in the 50s at least in a couple of days. Madness.

Jon said...

It was in the 50s here in Denver, yesterday, and apparently in the 40s today. I was snowboarding in Breckinridge, though, and the high there was 22.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.