Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I can has sanity nao?

I think I'm finally shaking the side effects of last weekend and finally regaining my sanity and health. I managed to actually crawl out of bed at 5:00 like I should. I had time for a real bowl of cereal. I was able to finish packing my bags and shove off by a little after 5:30. The first thing I noticed is how dark the sky is getting in the morning. It wasn't long ago that the 5:00 sky was brighter than the below photo (taken at about 5:41)


Although I woke up with (and still have) a bit of a frog in my throat and have some kind of sinus thing going on, I managed to get out and actually ride all the way to work for the second time in almost three weeks. Karen has been at it the whole time. I'm getting back into the swing of things now.


It was actually a very clammy morning. Cool and humid at 64°F with almost no wind to speak of. On my way in to work this morning, I saw two other bike commuters I'd not seen before. One road-bike-riding guy going south on Quivira with lights, vest and all. The other one was riding a mountain bike on SW Blvd near Mission Rd with a bottle holder duct-taped to his seat tube. I actually haven't seen that trick before, surprisingly. No wrong-way cyclists this morning.

I should be game for the full round-trip commute today. I'm feeling quite a bit better, but still not 100%. I did cave in and get a mocha this morning. So tasty. I probably won't be back there until Friday. DefCon really stretched the family budget. We really couldn't afford it despite my best efforts. I went anyways and it was worth every penny, but I really don't have the funds to indulge myself much.

Random Tunage:
Nine Inch Nails - A Warm Place
Steve Porter - Drama Queen

4 comments:

Tom said...

so you got a virus at DefCon?

Apertome said...

Man, I was hoping you were able to get your company to spring for Defcon; given your profession, you could probably make a case for it.

Glad to hear you're ramping the cycling up again. I can't get enough, after not riding all weekend and having so much fun on my new bike.

Noah said...

Tom: Technically, I got it on the way back from DefCon.

Apertome: What's silly is I ran into a guy who basically has my same job at my company's largest competitor who got sent not only to DefCon but to Black Hat as well, a $3,000+ expenditure.

Anonymous said...

"No wrong-way cyclists this morning."

I was reading Bike Snob NYC and he kept referring to a "bike salmon." It took me awhile to figure out this was a rider riding the wrong way, as a salmon swims upstream. Cracks me up. Letters to the Editor in the KC Star aver that cyclists ride against traffic. When will people realize that cyclists are traffic, just as drivers?

I enjoy reading your column.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.