Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I can has sleep now plz?

What a night!

The Monday night ride was somewhat brutal. Cold and very windy. I guess it wasn't too bad, but it was hard to regulate my temperature without dropping everyone, and it's marketed as a slow ride.

When that was all done, I picked up some grub, packed up my things for the morning commute, then went to the hospital, where my wife has been since early Sunday morning. I spent the night there. Initially, I tried sleeping in a chair with another chair facing me to rest my legs on. That lasted until sometime around 3:00 AM with no sleep lasting more than 15 minutes or so at a time, thanks to discomfort and constant interruption of nurses for various issues with both my wife and her roommate. Back killing me, I grabbed a sheet and lay on the cold, hard tile floor, resting my upper body and head on a pillow. I finally got to sleep around 3:30, slept until 5:30 with lots of tossing and turning, then got my stuff together and got out.

Since I left the bike in the back of my wife's Explorer, I just took my old clothes and some of my wife's stuff down there, then geared up the bike. It was a little above freezing this morning, and the hospital is almost the same distance from The Maul as my apartment, so the ride took just as long. It's uphill most of the way, and there was a stiff (and cold!) headwind to fight with. Approaching 103rd, I saw a blinkie. I knew it had to be Lorin. I played catch up for a while, then succumbed to the uphill, headwind death slog. My legs just didn't have anything in them after last night.

I think my wife will finally get discharged today sometime. She's basically lived in the hospital for almost 3 days at this point. We're just waiting on some doctors to look over the diagnostics they've been doing. It's been a rough couple of months for the both of us, so hopefully this represents the apex and decrescendo of all the medical drama.

Random Tunage:
Orbital - Halcyon + On + On
Underworld - Cowgirl

Oddly enough, both of those tracks WERE really played at random from a playlist of 873 songs, but both were also featured in the movie "Hackers"

3 comments:

Noah said...

And before someone asks, this is NOT some perverted attempt at an April Fool's joke.

I have photos that prove I've spent way too much time at Overland Park Regional Medical Center. But at least they have a bike rack at the main entry and a lockable railing near the ER.

Sirrus Rider said...

Hey Noah,

Hope you wife is okay and you can get some quality sleep..

dvicci said...

Gad zooks. I hope all works out well. Nights in the hospital, as a patient or a loved one, are no fun. Take my best, give some to the missus, and keep some for yourself.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.