Thursday, April 24, 2008

Caved

I just don't have it in me. Not yet. Two days, back to back. A mere 63 miles between them. That's all it takes to knock this wimp out. I crashed as soon as my wife left for work and was asleep well before 11PM. I woke up at 5:00 sharp. This might not sound like much, but to me, 6 hours of sleep is like going into a coma. I just don't usually need that much. I'm often awake till after midnight geeking out and/or talking to my wife while she's at work orchestrating the lockdown of campus.

Lo and behold, though, my coma was restful and much recovery was done, but I was still really tired and sore. The roads are soggy from the storms last night, but no significant rain was falling. By all calculations, this morning was probably the best morning of the week for me to ride in, with a stiff south wind and temps in the low 60s and upper 50s throughout the region. But, as I said, I just don't have it in me. I rode (oddly enough) into the wind and to the bus, racking up a massive 2.5 miles this morning. But I took it easy and now my legs actually feel better than they did when I woke up.

This completely vacant building at 11th and Baltimore makes me sad. The lower level has the remnants of several interesting shops (two pizzerias, a japanese restaurant, optometrist among other things) and there are tens of thousands of square feet of floor space, all neatly stacked in an interesting looking piece of downtown KCMO architecture. Sure, it may be as drab and faceless as the building I occupy, but when it's sitting in the heart of the city doing nothing but rotting, it kind of breaks my heart.


Barely more than one city block away sits the Lyric Opera House -- an unwavering central figure of culture that's somehow survived the ebbs and flows of blight downtown. It's likely as busy as ever with the recent gentrification of the area.


Random Tunage:
Lisa Loeb - I Do
Orbital - Dŵr Budr

2 comments:

dvicci said...

You should join me this weekend! I'll be either riding the Spring Classic route again (85 miles), or my own Legends to Clinton Lake loop (80 miles). Neither is remotely flat, and either will get the legs pumping. :)

Noah said...

I'm going to Springfield, MO this weekend (By car, TYVM)

I can't even do 63 miles in two days without suffering. What makes you think I'm ready for that kind of torture? haha.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.