Sunday, September 23, 2007

No bike commuter convoy tomorrow

FYI, I need to get in to work a little early, so I'm going to be pressed for time. As a result, I'll be running at least 15 minutes ahead of my usual schedule. I may also be riding faster than usual and as a result, won't be able to lead a none-left-behind morning ride tomorrow.

Friday night it rained pretty hard and some people had other obligations as well, so my friends and I decided to abandon the mountain bike ride Saturday. The trails would have been soggy and we could have damaged and eroded them. We'll try again later.

Saturday afternoon, my wife and I took some sandwiches out to Shawnee Mission Park and went fishing. SMP Lake is being drained for remodeling right now, so the water level was at least 8 feet lower than usual. We fished off of what was left of the marina docks. My wife caught a nice largemouth bass, a bluegill and a baby catfish. All I caught was a bluegill, a box turtle and some moss. We let them all go. We thought about keeping the box turtle as a pet until we did some research. Freshwater turtles take a lot more equipment to properly care for than I knew about. We took some pictures of him and turned him loose. He's pictured above making an escape from our styrofoam cooler.

Random Tunage:
Nine Inch Nails - Reptile (no joke! Turtles ARE reptiles, right? creepy.)
Decepticonz - Underground Sound

1 comment:

Apertome said...

Good call not damaging the trails. Too many people ride anyway, not caring about the damage they cause.

My sister has a freshwater turtle (and had a couple more until she found a new home for them) and it is unbelievable how filthy they can be.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.