Monday, January 31, 2011

On a lighter note...

I spent most of the weekend at KU Medical Center with my wife.
Artwork

On Friday, my sister-in-law and I had a nice lunch with Eric while my wife was getting this behemoth shoved into her brachiocephalic vein.
PiccLine

Forget those wimpy IV lines you may have seen in the past. This is called a "Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter" (pronounced: "ouch") The skinny end of this beast was hanging out in the right atrium of my wife's heart! She said she could feel the end flopping around when she was laying on one side. I'm not sure if that's possible or not, but either way, the mere thought freaks me out just a little bit.

I spent a lot of time in mechanical awe as I watched a tower crane get assembled from the ground up over the weekend. I guess KU Medical Center is adding a few floors to the heart center. After a few vertical sections were in place by a Link Belt 348 crawler crane, the crew started assembling the tower crane's cab.
CraneCab

It didn't take long for the whole thing to go up after that.
I love watching tower cranes go up

The view from my wife's room was interesting, in that I got to look out over the cooling towers and chimneys and across State Line into Midtown.
Midtown KC

And as we were preparing to leave the hospital, I got to watch hard-hat-wearing acrobats set up pulleys for the main cable.
CraneMen

As for my wife, the procedure got us some good news and some bad news. The initial problem the doctors were trying to diagnose isn't as big of a deal as originally expected. That means something else is wrong. There's a lot to be thankful for, but a lot of unanswered questions.

2 comments:

Doug said...

My wife is coming home from the hospital today as well. She's been in since last Wednesday. She's coming home with her PICC line still in. It looks exactly like the one in your picture. I'm heading off to the hospital now. I'll get trained on how to do the daily flushing of the PICC before she gets discharged.

She says she can feel the end of her PICC line in her chest when she breathes in deeply.

Noah said...

Hope all's well with your wife, Doug. It's not uncommon for a PICC to stay in for a month or even longer. They make the administration of IV medication easy enough for us normal folks to do. I absolutely hate needles and things like that. I don't think I'd let anyone put one of those in me!

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.