Monday, November 01, 2010

October Recap

Man, what a month! Pretty much the usual commute thing, not much other riding. A little bit of driving to take care of some bizarre errands here and there that just couldn't be accomplished any other way.

Today, we turned the keys in for our old apartment. It seems like I've spent the last 3 weeks doing nothing but busting my ass at work, only to come home and bust my ass packing things into boxes, cleaning the old place up, moving boxes between apartments, unpacking those same boxes, organizing things and deciding what's going to remain boxed up for now. I'm a bit of a packrat. I gave away or discarded literally half a ton of random kipple that's been crowding my closets during the process of moving this time.

A lot of what's left had no rhyme or reason to how it was stored, with half a dozen large plastic bins all full of random computer, photography and bike stuff. Most of last week was spent finding a place for every thing, or a thing for every place, but I'm finally satisfied with how stuff is organized. Audio/Visual cables and hardware is finally stored in one thing. Networking stuff in another. Wall Warts and Power Bricks together. Bike parts together. I even have a 5 gallon pail completely full of ethernet patch cables. At least now I have a bunch of small messes of related items rather than one big mess sprawled across many different containers. I can't help but think I need to jettison some more of it, but you never know when you'll need an AUI to UTP transceiver balun or a NuBus Ethernet Card. Oh, wait. I needed one of each last week. Yes, really.

My plan for completing the 100 Pushups program fell completely apart as I encountered nights where I averaged 4 hours of sleep after an eight hour day working and an equal amount of time spent on moving tasks. The balance of my day was taken up by everyday boring stuff and a bike commute to keep me sane.

I'd imagine I have another week or so of getting settled in.

Putting additional stress on things, I barely listened to any music in October. Music gets me through things, and there just wasn't time to put the headphones on and get into the zone at work. And at home... you already know.

At any rate, I'm stoked for what November will bring. Stresses at work and at home are settling down. The temperature's falling, and we're going into one of my favorite times of the year to ride.

2 comments:

Pat Ring said...

I've always said we should make prisoners move our stuff. It's the worst job in the world and I am positive it would deter crime more than any other punishment imaginable.

I am laughing about your cat-5 cables. Until recently I still had an old Trantor external SCSI device cable and a 1X speed external CD-ROM drive. I still had the floppies, 3.5 and 5.25, used to install the drivers to recognize the cable so I could attach the drive to reimage a PC. I've trashed all of that stuff now. I keep a 25' cable around in case one of my wireless routers dies, and that's about it.

I hope you get settled in...

Noah said...

Most of the cat5 I have stored is longer. 25-50' when I am setting up a mobile lab for presentations or whatnot.

My wife and I are both nerds. There's my wife's gaming PC, my old Windows/Linux mini-tower, my OpenBSD 1U Server, IBM RS/6000 Model 250, Sun Ultra 5, and my Apple G5 XServe that all need to be hard-wired. I mean, I suppose I could go wireless on three of those, but it'd be a hardware investment and I generally dislike wireless if I can avoid using it.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.