Thursday, September 18, 2008

Back... Kinda

Technically I'm waiting for the last leg of my homeward trip from Chicago. I think I tried every kind of alternative transportation I could except for buses, boats and bikes out there.

I caught a cable car to Fisherman's Wharf. Very fun.



I took an electric rail streetcar to get back from Fisherman's Wharf. It's like a bus except it's powered by the overhead electrical wires and it's on rails.


BART (light rail/subway) got me around quite a bit, and relatively inexpensive.


Some misc. Photos. I'll post lots more in the next few days.




Do Jetliners count as alternative transportation?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BART is heavy rail ;) Muni N, L, etc.. would be considered LRT (light rail transit).

Noah said...

Forgive me. I'm from Kansas. :P I always thought Amtrak was heavy rail, and BART is significantly lighter than Amtrak. I was also under the erroneous assumption that the "L" in Chicago's "The L" meant "Light rail" (oh yes, I was wrong. I wiki'd it)

Apertome said...

Glad to hear you're back, or almost back. I hope you had a good trip. Cool photos so far!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had the same thought process until someone set me straight. I guess they just call commuter rails/Amtrak type trains...just plaid old rail?

I believe they call it the El not L. And if I'm correct about El, I believe El short for elevated...?

Anonymous said...

Haha, plaid.

PLAIN***

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.