Monday, May 12, 2008

KC Bike Week 2008 Day 1: Morning Convoy!

I woke up a bit earlier this morning than usual, as I had made arrangements to meet with a reporter from NBC Action News (KSHB 41 in KC) at about 5:30. I got all my stuff together last night, so all I had to do was throw some clothes on, make a fresh batch of pressed coffee, and roll out.

It was a nippy 43°F this morning, but my cargo pants plus a long sleeve thermal shirt under a t-shirt provided perfect insulation. I rolled up to the news van just in time to see Lorin approaching. We talked to the news crew for a bit, then I recorded an interview. As more commuters started showing up, we did a live broadcast complete with close-ups of some of our commuting gear and another mini-interview. I made sure that it was clear that our Lenexa convoy was a weekly event. Maybe we'll get more of a following this year.

We had to make a few superfluous roll-by passes of the camera so they could get footage of us all on the road, decked out in reflective gear and das blinkenlichten. After that, the five of us were workbound!

Northbound on Nieman


Waiting at Mission Road and SW Blvd for our left turn light.


Riding through northern KCK


One of the iconic grain elevators near Rainbow.


Lorin, John and I met JR at Coffee Girls this morning. Change things up a bit.


The sun is up as early as ever. The downtown skyline glistens in the morning sun.


Random Tunage:
De Nuit - Love You Down (cover)
Peaches - AA XXX

11 comments:

Chuong Doan said...

Thats awesome dude. I think its important that people see that you don't need fancy clothes or gear to ride to work. You don't need no stinkin spandex- cargo pants, jeans, khakis, t-shirts or whatever will get the job done.

Noah said...

We had all types out this morning. Plain clothes. Non-cycling athletic gear. Mixed cycling/street clothes and someone in full cold-weather bicycle racing kit.

Chuong Doan said...

BTW- are you going to Casa Paloma tonight? I'm gonna try to make it out there for a ride and some nachos.

Noah said...

Oh hell yes I'll be out there.

Anonymous said...

I saw Noah on TV and it changed me life! I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats.

Noah said...

lolcats?

Warren T said...

They've got your story on their web site.
Link

Cool. Glad to see you had some people show up.

XAVI NOVELL said...

a good blog !!! , from catalonia
freebike xavi !!!!

Frogman said...

Gah! The reporter read the web address in the video and said "backslash." That really peeves me. Anyway, that is what you sound like IRL. ;)

Noah said...

I gnashed my teeth when he said backslash too.

Apertome said...

It's great that you got that news coverage. Very cool. You sure had quite a group for the ride! Things are very quiet around here, as the students are gone now. It's very pleasant.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.