Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Some more cool stuff to kick off 2K8

I'm kind of giddy announcing this, but I just hopped on board as a writer over at one of my daily must-read sites, Commute By Bike. They just signed on a few other new writers as well. I'm genuinely excited to see what CBB holds in store for the upcoming year and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Also in the cool department was a 19 degree homeward commute that I nailed spot-on in the clothing department. Chamois, base layer top and bottom, wool socks, Seirus Thermax balaclava, Specialized Deflect gloves, with cargo pants and my ski coat rounding out the mix. The sidewalk on the way home was just a big sheet of blighted, rutted ice. It was a very difficult ride, putting every ounce of bike handling skill I've amassed to the test. In the end, it was a fun ride, but was mentally and physically draining, requiring unwavering attention to my line, and a lot of work from my upper arms to keep balanced as I allowed the bike to float where it wanted within my chosen path while keeping it upright.

In hindsight, I probably should have opted for the perceptibly perilous passage otherwise known as the traffic lane of Quivira Road at rush hour.

Random Tunage:
God Lives Underwater - Rearrange
Enya - Sail Away

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congradulations on CBB. Had to bookmark that.Saw you by Genghis Khan's today. BRR. They had a fire today.No food for awhile. After 8 months I got an e-mail back from The JO. They cannot install bike lockers in MO. So, I e-mailed The Metro. Decided to send one to Funky too. He is for Green. We'll see if I get past the e-mail gate keepers.

Noah said...

I rode by Khan's just to witness the carnage. I heard the sirens last night but didn't think anything of it until my wife told me that there were fire trucks at the strip maul when she got home early this morning.

Good luck on bike lockers downtown. You should probably contact Deb Ridgway. If you need her email addy let me know. She's the official KCMO Bike/Ped guru, and she's very well plugged into the advocacy network here in the greater KC area.

Truth be known, I didn't really care for Ghengis Khan anyways, but it still sucks that they burst into flames. I'd never wish that on anyone. I'm just saying after the first (and only) time my wife and I ate there, I wouldn't bother going back. The Tailor shop that also got smoke/water damage is where the lady works that fixes all my torn-up bags and panniers though.

Cheers, and maybe I'll see ya back out on the road again soon.

Dan said...

Congrats! I look forward to reading your stuff over there.

dvicci said...

That's fantastic news! Definitely look forward to seeing what you get out there.

Apertome said...

Great! CommuteByBike is a cool site. I haven't visited it for a while, but I always enjoy it when I do. Looking forward to seeing some content from you over there.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.