Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thanks again, Warren!

Quite a while ago, Warren linked to yes.com. I've never really needed it to find a song I heard, but I knew it would eventually come in handy. Today was the day. I was going to get my new headset bearings and a song popped onto a local radio station, a good song (well, to me, anyways) and I had to figure out what it was. Yes.com to the rescue!

It was "Shadow of the day" by Linkin Park, for the curious.

My bike is almost put back together. I shocked my lungs on my way home by not having the balaclava over my mouth, and then pumping out about 90% perceived effort for about a mile on Quivira in crazy traffic. I feel kind of like bronchitis is going to set in. That's NOT what I need right now.

I got nothing else. I need to quit goofing off and get my handlebars straightened up and my bike computer put back on.

5 comments:

Warren T said...

Happy to be of service. Please stay healthy.

Sirrus Rider said...

Take it Easy and don't over stress yourself. Also, try to keep your chest warm.. Drink plenty of fluids too..

Anonymous said...

Thinking of purchasing a Balaclava,whats the difference between a $6 one compared to a $15 one?,they are both semi full face,wanting to purchase one tonite,for our first freeze for Sat. here in TX,( I KNOW! yall probley ride in shorts when it;s in the hi-20's),LOL :>)

Noah said...

No shorts when it's below 50 for me! I might seem like a badass to all of you guys down south of here, but I am a wimp when it comes to getting cold. The secret is that you can keep from getting cold with just a few extra layers of clothes. Given that fact, I can ride my bike (and stay warm) down to some very cold temperatures.

Cheaper balaclavas made of woven yarn don't work all that well. They don't stay as warm, and they hold moisture from your breath. For a short commute it would be fine, though.

Middle-of-the-line ones are made of a fleece like material, and work pretty well.

The more expensive ones are made of synthetics and range from breathable wicking materials such as Thermax or Thinsulate, to thicker stuff like neoprene that doesn't breathe well but should be even warmer.

Most neoprene balaclavas have holes cut out or a mesh for your mouth and nose so you can actually move air in and out of your lungs. I haven't used one, but I think these might work better for keeping your skin warm, but not as well for pre-warming the air you breathe. My Seirus brand whole-head balaclava was about $20. It's made of Thermax. I think it's going to keep me warm down into the single digit temperatures.

Anonymous said...

THANKS Noah,this answers alot of my questions,i'am off to Sports Acadamy to check them out!thanks again for the helpful hints

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.