Thursday, October 25, 2007

Brisk ride this morning

When I departed this morning, it was a mere 36 degrees outside. I wore the same get-up I was wearing a few days ago (39 degrees) when time constraints forced me to use the bus. It worked flawlessly, if not a little on the warm side. For those who care, I wore my chamois under wicking thermal pants and cargo pants, then my wicking thermal shirt alone under the outer shell of my ski jacket, which is basically a really light windbreaker.

Initially, this combo was just right for my lower body but a little chilly up top. By the time I got to 67th street, I was feeling more than sufficiently warm and unzipped the shell halfway. Shortly thereafter, I hammered down the short but steep hills on 67th street, wringing 40 miles per hour out of my poor little DB Outlook. Smiling ear-to-ear and panting profusely, I downed about half a bottle of Gatorade as I coasted through the RRX to Carter. I didn't sweat, though. My clothing choice was working very, very well. I'm highlighting this combo in my log.

The climb up Merriam Lane to Antioch more than chased away the faint chill I had beneath my half-zipped shell. Lots of effort was met without much speed to cool me off, so I completely unzipped the outer shell, leaving just enough zipped at the bottom to keep the shell on me. This also worked flawlessly at keeping my temperature regulated. Down the road a ways, I'd find myself cooling off a bit, so I cranked up my effort a notch or two and warmed into it very nicely.

I beat Lorin to the coffee shop by only a minute or so. I was outside, talking to my wife on the phone and removing my jacket when he showed up.

One thing I did differently today, is that I put the seat-post rack back on my Outlook. I started getting tired of carrying 2 sets of clothes in my backpack. Today, my backpack only carried my laptop and gadgets. My work clothes and some lighter clothing for my ride home are in a duffel bag held down to the rack. This also worked very well and made my backpack a lot lighter. I'll probably continue like this for the time being.

I have a phone conference late this afternoon, so I'll probably have to take the bus home, unless I feel like stopping in the middle of my homeward commute to sit on my phone on the side of the road somewhere. You never really know with me. I don't usually decide how I'm getting home until right before it's time to leave.

Random Tunage:
A*S*Y*S - Acid Head Cracker
Chicane - Lost you somewhere

No comments:

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.