Friday, December 29, 2006

I must have looked like a democrat this morning

Let me start by saying that I have nothing against democrats. Without pushing my views on those who read my ramblings, I'll say that I'm fairly conservative (in the silly political sense of the word) and registered as a republican.

Some friends of mine have these long-standing stereotypes. I personally don't believe all of them are true. If you want to just skip over them, just skip past the italics.

For one, most people that hang out at Starbucks are Mac users. While I have no idea if that's true, I do see some Macs at Starbucks on occasion. I have used Macs and PC laptops in coffee shops, so I'm not terribly biased on either side.

Another stereotype is that Mac users are typically artsy, liberal eco-zealots. I also have no idea if that's all true, but I do know that a good deal of graphic designers prefer using the MacOS versions of their programs over using the Windows versions. I am not a graphic designer. I am a writer, a programmer, a hacker (in the good sense of the word: "curious"), and many other things.

Finally, I do know that a good number of bicycle commuters are doing it partially because it's good for the environment, and that many bike commuters are liberal, and probably self-described democrats.


Anyhow, so here I am: I'd been writing something on my Mac while riding the bus, but didn't get to finish it. I'm hungry, thirsty, have time to burn before work, and suffering without a REALLY GOOD coffee shop downtown. I hit Starbucks, the only coffee shop between 15th and 8th, Oak and Broadway that is guaranteed not to make me regret drinking their coffee. I lock my bike up, go inside, place my order, find a table, set my helmet down, whipped out the MacBook and finished writing my composition.

I must have looked like such a democrat. :)

10 comments:

amidnightrider said...

Ha! From what I understand, mac's are for those who like to do graphics and pictures.
I have read a few of your postings and I say that you are a democrat. You may not vote that way, but you definitely are a liberal. Good for you. *>)

And your blog is good to.

Noah said...

I must be a democrat that believes in almost all of the conservative social issues then ;)

amidnightrider said...

I put the smiley face in to insure you were not offended. I hope it worked.

Anonymous said...

Scooters Coffee at 10th and Walnut is pretty good.

And I wrote this on a Mac. :^)

Eric Rogers said...

So Macheads are more likely Democrats, but most folks at Starbucks seem like Republicans to me...

Anyway, I second the vote for Scooters. Also inside the Loop is the new cafe in the Central Library and a branch of Mildred's in one of the Commerce Bank towers. Both with Wifi.

Noah said...

Jeff, the only thing I can tolerate from Scooters at 10th and Walnut is the Free WiFi and the Wally Biscotti.

Their bagels are made of chewy stone, their coffees lack body and their espresso drinks are not mixed well (making them somewhat bland)

Personal preference, I know. I have had good luck at Coffee Girls, but that would mean a killer climb back up Broadway right before getting to work. No thanks.

Noah said...

I didn't see the post by Eric.

Country Club Cafe (in the bank) is alright, but it kind of depends on who's actually making it there. Unpredictable at best.

The "push-a-button" espresso machines at The Nine Muses Cafe (in the Library) produce predictable results, but they're predictably bitter. They have tasty sandwiches for lunch, and their hand-made pizza is flat out awesome! I go there for lunch frequently, but don't bother drinking their coffee.

I haven't been totally tempted into hitting the River Market area yet. I might try that sometime soon just to see if there's anything good down there. Thus far, I can't find anything better than Starbucks (which isn't saying much) betwen oak and broadway, 16th and 8th.

Yokota Fritz said...

I followed your link from BikeForums.net to your blog. I'm another politically conservative long-time bike commuter. I know of at least two or three others: Cycling Dude, Amazing Shrinking Man, and Tim of Crooked Cog. Oh, and Warren.

amidnightrider said...

Ha! I knew you would come back and look.

Noah said...

Actually, I knew exactly which post it was, and I think I already knew of you from BikeForums.

Privacy Policy

This site is driven by software that uses third-party cookies from Google (Blogger, AdSense, Feedburner and their associates.) Cookies are small pieces of non-executable data stored by your web browser, often for the purpose of storing preferences or data from previous visits to a site. No individual user is directly tracked by this or any other means, but I do use the aggregate data for statistics purposes.

By leaving a link or e-mail address in my comments (including your blogger profile or website URL), you acknowledge that the published comment and associated links will be available to the public and that they will likely be clicked on.